Tips for Staying Connected, Engaged, and Well While Physically Distant or in Quarantine/Isolation
3 Questions to answer every day
What are the 3 things you want to accomplish by the end of the day?
What are the 2 things that will make you happy today?
Who should you call, chat, text or Zoom for human interaction today?
Set aside specific time each day for:
- Nutrition and hygiene (healthy meals and hydration, shower/bath, brush teeth, etc)
- School work and studying
- Fitness (a health oriented activity of some kind)
- Something fun (movie, book, game, etc)
- Something contemplative (mindful practice, meditation, journaling, faith/religion/prayer)
- At least two (2) check ins with friends or family (rotating)
How to: UNC Access for Zoom for students
On-line and Virtual Resources:
Ways to Experience Carolina Digitally
- CPA at Home (Carolina Performing Arts) and Carolina Performing Arts staff Spotify playlist
- Morehead at Home (Morehead Planetarium), including Carolina Skies
- 3-D models at Sketchfab (Ackland Art Museum)
- North Carolina Botanical Garden live webcam (North Carolina Botanical Garden)
- UNC-Chapel Hill Music Department Spotify playlist and YouTube channel
- First Fridays (Music Department)
- UNC’s Charanga Carolina (ReverbNation)
- Carolina Crossword (Carolina Athletics)
Recommendations from UNC-CH faculty:
- What we’re listening to (The Well, 5/29/20)
- Take a film adventure (The Well, 5/15/20)
- Reading as a tonic for the times (The Well, 5/8/20)
- Campus Recreation Group Fitness classes, go.unc.edu/groupfitness
- Mindfulness via WebEx (School of Medicine)
- Edible Campus Virtual Earth Week
Carolina Student Organizations and Programs
Local Chapel Hill-Carrboro Yoga Classes
Arts & Culture
- The Met - This award-winning series of six short videos invites viewers around the world to virtually visit The Met's art and architecture in a fresh, immersive way
- Smithsonian - Access awesome exhibits
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems! Join Kennedy Center Education Artist-in-Residence at Home for a live daily doodle lesson at 11 a.m. MDT. Videos will be available after the live class on the Kennedy Center YouTube channel.
Check out these sites to go on virtual tours of different museums and specific exhibits.
- The Louvre
- National Gallery of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Van Gogh Museum
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
- British Museum
Check out some cool places around the world from national parks to national landmarks.
- Ellis Island
- Colonial Williamsburg
- Tour England through this 360 video
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park and five other national parks thanks to virtual reality (and Google)!
- Great Wall of China
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Just want a cute and cuddly distraction? Check out several different animal live cam options from watching silly sea otters and curious elephants or just mellow out to the hypnotic drifting jellyfish.
- San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Atlanta’s Zoo Panda Cam
- Georgia Aquarium
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bears
- Explore Live Cams
Check out these helpful podcasts
- Awesome at Your Job - Covering productivity, communication, career management and more
- That Creative Life - Candid conversations with some of the world's best artists and business professionals
- College Info Geek - Advice for boosting your productivity, earning better grades, paying off your student loans and more
- Slate: Working - Interviews with creative people about their work
- CliftonStrengths Theme Thursdays - Interviews with guests on how their strengths impact them and manifest in their lives
Ideas for Engagement with Friends
- Virtual movie night
- Book club or Podcast listening group
- Weekly polls (favorite song to walk/run to, best food in Chapel Hill, favorite recipes, etc)
- Create a shared playlist
- Virtual Dance Party
- Improv Games (One Word Story, Convergence, 5 Things)
- Door Decoration Contest
- Pet Photo Competition
- Live Game Shows (Kahoot, Quizziz)
- E-Sports Tournament and other multi-player gaming
- Poetry or Spoken Word Slam
Some great virtual resources compiled by the UNC-CH Gillings School of Public Health
Some more interesting, creative, and virtual ideas:
Virtual City Tours (Visit NC)
Check out the 25 Most Interesting Webcams of 2018
Watch an opera for free with the Metropolitan Opera.
Listen to a live recording from the Seattle Symphony.
Print off a free printable coloring page from the “Color Our Collections” campaign with coloring sheets from over 100 museums and libraries from around the world or choose from 1,500+ coloring pages with Just Color.