UNC-CH Transportation & Parking
Visit UNC-CH Transportation at http://move.unc.edu.
This site is your online location for information, policies, programs, services, special announcements, and comprehensive information about UNC Transportation & Parking, including information on:
- Commuter Alternative Program (CAP)
- Public transit and Point-to-Point (P2P)
- Rideshare and carshare (Zipcar)
- Special event parking and transportation
- Biking and walking
Important Notice Regarding Off Campus Permit Parking
The Residential Parking Permit Program was created in 1978 and has since grown to include more than 15 neighborhoods. The program helps to manage parking in residential areas where nonresident parking is impacting the ability of residents to park. The goal is to protect and improve the quality of life and character in the neighborhood by reducing the amount of overflow parking, discouraging cut-through traffic and ensuring adequate parking spaces for the residents.
Residential Parking Permit Renewals Begin July 1st. Residents may apply if they live on a street where parking is restricted and there is no practical way of parking off the street.
All applicants will be required to provide proof of identity, vehicle ownership, and that they live within the residential parking permit zone. Bring the following with you:
- Valid Driver’s license
Proof of Ownership
- Valid Motor vehicle registration card
Proof of Residency:
- Current lease with name and address on it signed by tenant and landlord (sublease requires a notarized letter from the landlord stating that you live there and who moved out) OR
- Current utility bill (within last 30 days) with your name and address on it OR
- A Warranty Deed for a home in the defined area if the home has been purchased recently and there is no utility bill available OR
- Notarized letter from your landlord with your name and address on it.
We also require that any outstanding parking citations be satisfied
Applicants for residential permits must apply in person at:
- Town of Chapel Hill Parking Services 150 E. Rosemary St. Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday–Friday (We will be closed, Wednesday, July 4th ).
The fee for a residential parking permit is $25 per year. A fee will not be charged for those age 65 or older (proof of age must be provided).
Also new to the Residential Parking Permit program:
3 day and 14-day Temporary Parking Permits. These Temporary visitor passes will now available to anyone living in residential areas. Up to 10 three-day permits may be purchased in a year for $2 each. Up to five 14-day permits may be purchased each year for $10 each. Guest permits are still available for short-term parking of 24 hours or less within residential parking zones.